Saturday, August 15, 2009

pursuit of truth...

It was surprising... my eyes always deceived me. It was only when I used my camera, could I capture it. Not in the shining daylight, but in the dim light of dawn, the "sankranti kaal" as they call in sanskrit. It was the slow shutter of the camera that made me feel the fourth dimension of spacetime. The picture was blurred. Like my view of life. It captured motion for quarter of a second during which the reality had changed so much that the picture was vague enough not to reveal anything.

When we capture moments, we don't actually capture moments. We capture periods. This is not a problem of the camera, it's our brain or rather the TIME itself. My training in science and engineering has taught me to rely on experiments and observations for the TRUTH. For this I rely on my senses. When I see something, it is what my brain perceives from the image formed by my eye using the visible spectrum of radiation. There are two aspects to it: One is lack of totality and second is subjectivity. But we will talk about it later, let's come to the time part first. So when I see something it is because light from that object has fallen on my eyes and my brain has processed it into an image. But there is always a time lag in this process. So when I see something it doesn't actually exist now. What I see is past. So when I am just living for the moment I am not actually living for the moment :)

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle again puts a limit to the observation. It says that you cannot observe reality without changing it. There is a limit to what u can know. This limitation has been put by none other than the laws of nature, in pursuit of which you started observing in the first place. It is actually this law itself which decides if you can know it !!!

This pulls me to mysticism. While science tries to understand, mysticism tries to feel. As I said in earlier, the limitations of scientific method makes my understanding subjective. It is based on observation and hypothesis. While there is a limit to what one can observe, the bigger limitation is put by the hypothesis. There can be an infinite number of them and thus you tend to rely on intuition. This blurs the boundary between science and mysticism. I am standing on this blurry line now and waiting for my call.

6 comments:

Maya said...

Sub Maya hai, aur Maya main hoon :)Jokes apart, good one. Keep going and I await the other thoughts in this direction, the pursuit of truth need not end here-your seasoned readers know that there is more activity in your head than what meets the eye(well if you disregard that the male brain can function at only one activity at one point in time) :)

Anonymous said...

Aap ko nahi lagta that u made your readers wait for a very long time for this post? Please increase your writing frequency instead of chatting strange people over the free time

Anonymous said...

I have already accepted maya(mysticism) as the way of life it lets me see and become more aware of the next layer, whereas logic(science) makes me more aware of what is in this layer.
... it is important to know your own layer as well as, march towards the next layer, so
a balance of both is necessary :)

Anonymous said...

waise sankranti-kaal me kya dekhe, uske baare me to bataye hi nahi

Kafir said...

@ maya
If I write all that's in my mind u'll probably think of sending me to a mental hospital :P

@ anonymous
Point taken. Hope not to disappoint you next time u visit.

@ amrendra
The problem is not with the acceptance. It is about the split. About considering the two as entirely different pursuits, which can co-exist together. If u remember I was telling you about this split and held newton responsible for it.
It is like cutting down Da Vinci into two pieces: “Monalisa” and “Flying Machine”

waise sankraanti kaal se hi to baat shuru hui thi. read it again...

misha said...

accha to tha par....thoda complicated tha.mujhe digest karne mein thodi problem hui :) :)